iMovie HD Launcher for Yosemite

20 August 2015 by Lincoln Ramsay

I have been using iMovie since version 1 on the classic MacOS. Which means I know the iMovie HD interface really well. So I was dismayed to find that it doesn’t launch on Yosemite.

But I found information that said it does run, it just can’t be launched by clicking on its icon.

I already had some Automator applets that launched apps so I modified one to launch iMovie HD and gave it an icon. If you like the idea of a clickable launcher for iMovie HD, get it here. If you don’t want to trust a random app you can open it in Automator to verify it for yourself.

Classic sci-fi radio plays in podcast form

01 July 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

So I recently discovered some classic sci-fi radio plays on archive.org. X Minus One (and its precursor, Dimension X). The only problem is… downloading episodes from web pages sucks and my podcast app doesn’t take an M3U playlist as input. So I wrote a script to generate some podcast files and put them over here.

Balancing dice

21 April 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

It started simply enough. Someone posted a dice balancing photo. I was at work, bored and I had some dice so…


This led to a retaliation but at home I have different dice which are harder to stack. Luckily it was Easter so I had some free time one morning.


Not bad, but I knew I could do better. I really wanted to have more than one “twisted” dice but it’s way harder to do. Many frustrated attempts later, I achieved this.


This may well be as good as it gets. I’m not sure I could get anything on top of that top dice. At least, not with only 2 hands. I could probably get more in the middle… but I’m a bit short of dice at home. Turns out our games tend not to use dice, or they use unsuitable ones. Maybe during our next sprint planning session at work…

How to automatically reclaim your IRC nick and other things (for Quassel)

21 March 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

I use Quassel. The server runs all the time so I’m always logged in. Since the server runs at my home, I sometimes get bumped offline as my IP address changes (why? I dunno, it just does). Since the server re-connects within the normal IRC timeout period, this means it can’t take my nick. You can fix this manually when you login and notice it but… that’s a bit of a pain. Here’s how I did it automatically. more…

How to disable pingback and xmlrpc advertising

13 March 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

I don’t know if wordpress sites respond to ping backs if you turn the checkbox off but… can’t hurt to force it off anyway, right?

So I took the instructions here but I changed one thing. I can’t just turn off xmlrpc altogether because I use the wordpress mobile app. But all the rest is good. This turns off the advertising (headers and such, references to xmlrpc.php that end up in your pages) as well as forcibly blocking any ping requests. The mobile app still works. Maybe other things don’t but… I don’t use them.

Make a directory under wp-content/plugins and a .php file to put the following into. You then have to enable the plugin from the dashboard. more…

Low memory due to leftover app_process instances

12 March 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

I have a RAZR i with the standard UK 4.1.2 ROM. Sometimes I’ve had low memory problems or periods where the battery runs down unexpectedly. I recently started experiencing severe memory shortage every now and then. Despite my initial assumption this was related to running with data disabled, it turns out something else was the culprit. The problem came down to a large number of app_process instances hanging around, taking up 8M of RAM each. more…

Revisiting my web host backup solution

04 March 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

So for some reason, nosupportlinuxhosting removed /usr/bin/rsync from my web host on 27 Feb. I thought about emailing them but… they do advertise how they ignore support questions.

I have a workaround anyway. This is how I backed up my site at a previous hosting company that didn’t provide rsync. It’s not quite as good but it’s a lot better than just downloading everything all the time. more…

How to shuffle an iTunes 11 playlist (using AppleScript)

10 January 2014 by Lincoln Ramsay

iTunes 11 removed a feature I used quite a bit, the ability to shuffle a playlist.

No, I don’t mean playing the songs in a random order, I mean changing the unsorted order of the songs in the playlist.

Today, this annoyance finally got the better of me so I searched for a solution. more…

Patching OpenWRT

25 August 2013 by Lincoln Ramsay

As previously noted, I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. However, problems with the router led me to ditch DD-WRT in favour of OpenWRT. The last time I looked at OpenWRT it was all command-line only and hard to get setup but it’s improved a lot in the intervening years such that it’s now as easy to drive as DD-WRT is, at least for the simple stuff. It doesn’t come with the kitchen sink as standard but there’s a million packages that can be added easily. For example, the QoS stuff in DD-WRT can be found in OpenWRT but only after you install a package. more…

Worlds Without Words!

18 July 2013 by Lincoln Ramsay

Oh wow. I’ve been searching for this game for so long.

May I present, an enigma from my childhood, Worlds Without Words.

Worlds Without Words

The game was made by 4Mation for the BBC Micro. We had the 3.5-inch floppy version.

This shot of the box comes from a closed ebay auction. I could have got this game for only a pound! Bummer 🙁

I remember a whole bunch of mini-games. Things like building a robot that could get through a course. 3 heads, 3 bodies, 3 “feet” but only 1 combination can get through the course. There were sliding block puzzles, walking around a city, building a rocket, connecting pipes. Too bad my memories are all extremely old and unreliable.

Sadly, this game lived before the internet and it is virtually impossible to find anything on it now. Maybe one day…

← Older posts

Newer posts →